Aug 8, 2011

[Notes to self] past seen in present

This image was taken on January 30, 2006. It depicts 2 notebooks, still unwritten at that time. The larger one (on the bottom) was to be my research «Notebook 1» that was used between March 24, 2006 and July 30, 2007. The smaller one (closed and on top of the other) came to be my «Notebook 2.1» and it was used between October 2007 and June 2008.

The first notebook was my choice and followed my requisites of notebooks (plain pages where I can make scrapnotes, anywhere). The second was a gift from someone who knew I used notebooks. At the time I took the picture, besides loving the gift, I taught it was to small to take my notes. Also it had lines, instead of plain white pages like the one's all my notebooks previously had.

At that same time, I was not able to understand how it was going to play a part in a future that was yet to came. By the time I start using it, I was going through a life disruption. Being so small allowed me to have it among the few things I carried in a time where I had no permanent place to settle. During that time, this small notebook was mainly used as a «place» to collect housing possibilities, names of people and phone numbers, notes of houses for sale, notes of visits to houses, to-do lists, on going negotiations with lawyer, job searches, notes of contacts with banks, and a few notes on trying to get back to research work amidst a faulty infrastructure for working on the move [relate stability for mobility from the work of Kakihara]. 

Notebook 2_1 - artefacts crossing spaces - Mobility
The small notebook details pieces with clues to find «infrastructure» needed for getting a shelter and doing work. Rare exceptions in this notebook describe research design, like the entry on November 5, 2007, where I found the sketch drawing attention to the need of finding information artefacts crossing information spaces, by describing my own practices and behaviours, aka bias. This would call for slow methods. The kind of methods that would allow «seeing» what's not present [absent artefacts]. And that requires time. A long time collecting and long time going through it over and over again, «listening» to what the recordings tell us. 

No comments:

Post a Comment